Penne alla Vodka
Recipe for Vodka Sauce - as taught to me by my very amazing friend, from Rome, Italy, Beatrice Bebs Mistretta (try to tag her on Facebook if you can!)
- Sauté about a clove of chopped garlic and a little olive oil in a large pan - just barely, be careful not to burn the garlic!
- Add 1 can of whole whole peeled tomatoes - with juice - and squash the tomatoes - breaking up the larger chunks
- Add some salt/pepper and fresh basil
- For some kick add crushed red pepper flakes!
- Let boil and reduce until it thickens (about 5 mins)
- Remove from heat - add 1/4 cup of vodka - return to high heat and allow alcohol to boil off - about 2 minutes
- Turn down to Medium heat, add 1/4 cup of heavy cream - stir
- Serve over chicken, or tossed with penne pasta
For a twist - add some smoked salmon to the sauce, and then toss in some pasta, as seen in the photo above!